Each competitive game in our database generates rating points for the two teams involved. Our ratings are a weighted average of these rating points divided by games played. The ratings are based on a number of factors:
- The strength of the opposing team
- The strength of the competition as a whole
- The significance of the game. Finals count more than qualifiers. Knock-out games count more than group games
- How recently the game took place
Teams have 3 sets of rankings. Attack and defence points are based around the goals scored and conceded in competitive matches. FootySimulator simulations are based on these values. The overall rating is based purely on a team's ability to win. These overall rankings are our best indicator of the comparative strength of teams and are what you see here.
click here for more information on how our rankings are produced
Our club rankings are similar to our international ratings but with the following differences:
Ratings are based on domestic league matches and also games in the primary continental competition (for example, the UEFA Champions League, the Copa Liberatadores or the CONCACAF Champions League).
- Rankings are based on a weighted average over three years with the most recent results weighted highest.